Saturday, December 7, 2013

Inspiration | Amelie (2001)

"Amelie" or "Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain" by Jean-Pierre Jeunet is one of my favourite films. It's perfectly dreamy and sweet. Growing up, I remember stealing the DVD from my aunty's room just so that I could watch it. I am fairly certain that because of that, the film has caused me to be how I am today. Well partly. The film is about Amelie Poulain, an innocent and naive girl in Paris, with her own sense of justice, decides to help those around her and along the way, discovers love. The film's score (by the flawfree Yann Tiersen) helps to add to the film's whimsy and almost fairy tale-like atmosphere. It's funny because one of my favourite shows was heavily influenced by this film. Anyone heard of "Pushing Daisies"? Yeah, I love that show. I have a rewatch of that show every couple of weeks since its cancellation...ugh, that still irks me. Anyway, Amelie! 

Now, in terms of inspiration, it's really easy for me to say that this film is just inspiration. The way each shot looks and the way the music sounds is just an instant shot of inspiration for me. I also love and identify with Amelie on a personal level. The way she acts with Nino is scarily similar to how I act, although I'm sure that most women and men can attest to acting similarly. Amelie as a character sort of inspired me to be a better person. Because of Amelie, I'm a lot more considerate and polite to people than I used to be when I was in middle school. Thankfully, this movie came along and made me a decent human hahaha oh man, and then there's the whole atmosphere of Amelie's apartment. It's doused in reds and greens and sprinkles of mustard yellow and that colour scheme alone is just so perfectly warm and spicy, if that makes sense. The whole film just makes me feel so optimistic about life and I love it so much for that. 
*All images/gifs found in my "Amelie" folder with no sources*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...