Thursday, August 28, 2014

Inspiration | God Help the Girl (2013/2014)


 So "God Help the Girl" is the musical drama from Stuart Murdoch from Belle & Sebastian. The film stars Emily Browning, Olly Alexander, and Hannah Murray as our main cast. The film also features their own singing. Having already heard Emily and Olly's voices, I was most curious about Hannah Murray's voice and I have to say, that while nasally, Hannah's voice has a certain charm to it. Odd. Anyway, the film is about Eve. Eve is a young early twenties woman that has just escaped from the psychiatric hospital where she was being treated for anorexia. While there, Eve began to take solace in songwriting which is why, after escaping, she heads to Glasgow in an effort to become a musician. When she gets there, she meets James (Olly) and his guitar student, Cassie (Hannah). I haven't watched the film since it's not being released anywhere in my area, but from the clips released from the film, Emily, Olly, and Hannah have such fantastic chemistry and it seriously shows. I think the fact that they became such good friends in the process of filming, that helped to portray Eve, James, and Cassie's growing friendship more realistically. The Glasgow portrayed in this film seems to be one that takes place in 2013-2014 (I think) but has the aesthetics and wardrobe styling from the 50s-60s. The styling is perfect and giving me brand new ideas of different styles to try and the music is fun and poppy. I've been listening nonstop to the soundtrack and Emily Browning's voice is just so pretty and lilting. I really do wish this film was playing near me but unfortunately, I am not that lucky. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...