Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Top 5 | Ways to Wear Button-Ups!

As someone who wears collared shirts and button-ups a lot, I thought it'd be a good idea to share my top 5 ways for wearing button-ups. Button ups are an easy way to casual-ify a fancy dress or to dress up a pair of jeans. They are a definite wardrobe essential for anyone because there are so many different ways to wear button-ups and they double up for being casual but for also being serious business when you want to. Anyway, here are my top 5 ways for how I've worn button-ups in the past and how I've continued to wear them. I hope you enjoy!


1. Tucked In
Probably the most obvious way, but one way to wear a button-up is by itself, tucked into a pair of pants/jeans or a skirt; OR just over pants/jeans or a pair of shorts. I tend to wear different variations of this outfit, especially during the fall/winter only with tights and socks and a peacoat on top. This is easily one of the most simple ways to wear a button-up. It's simple but it gets the point across that you're trendy but with a hint of serious business ready to burst from you at a moment's notice.

2. Over a dress or skirt
This is another simple way to wear button-ups. During the summer, if you're like me and self-conscious about your arms when wearing dresses with string straps, throwing a button up over the dress and tying it at the waist is a super cute and fun way to get away with wearing the cute strappy dress but without you needing to feel super self-conscious. This style is also very flattering on all body types. Since it's tied at your waist, it cuts your torso off so that it will give off the illusion of an hourglass figure and let's be honest, who doesn't want an hourglass figure? Goodness knows I would love one. Anyway! This is also great because during this past summer, there was a trend in stores like Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, Modcloth, and Ruche where they would sell already tied button-ups. Meaning that these button-ups were like normal button-ups only instead of having buttons at the end, there was an already tied knot in place. And with the crop top also making a huge comeback this year, a lot of these tied button-ups were already cut off at the waist. 

3. With a statement necklace
This one is simple. Wear a plain button-up (although the picture I'm using, it's a blouse with the buttons on the back...) and grab a statement necklace and string it under the collar. In this case, I'm wearing a Peter Pan collar top with an owl necklace. The only real advice I have for this method is to make sure that your necklace can fit properly under and around the collar. With the necklace I was wearing, it just barely fit under and around the collar. For comfort, a longer necklace is definitely better. And, it's just my preference, but I would suggest wear plain coloured button-ups and a statement necklace as opposed to a patterned button-up and a statement necklace. The combination of the necklace and patterned button-up will come off as too cluttered and too thrown together. While I've seen some fashion bloggers pull this off, I have to be hones that not everyone is able to do that. 

4. Under a sweater
This one is a definite must for the colder months of the year. Layering a button up under a sweater so that only the collar is on top is just so fashionable and hip and trendy to me. There's a bit of a quirky/preppy feeling to this particular way but it looks so good. And as someone who HATES to wear pants, I felt totally cute and fun in the above photo and a lot of that is contributed to the comfort of the button-up layered under my Mickey Mouse sweater. For this, you just need to make sure that your button-up isn't super thick and is more in the fitted department because that kind of button-up will work with looser and tighter sweaters. Personally, I think this style looks good with thinner fabric button-ups and tighter sweaters. Occasionally, I will wear a looser sweater on top, but that is usually reserved for my lazier days. Anyway, a fun thing for this way is that you can wear fairly plain sweaters and then patterned button-ups. The patterned collars popping up over the sweater's collar will be a fun little pop of quirk. 

5. Under a dress
And lastly, wearing a button-up under a dress! I usually reserve this way for dresses that are more low-cut in the bust than I'd like them to be. It also comes in handy for transitioning summer-style dresses into the colder months so that you're able to get more wear out of your favorite pieces. While this method tends to lend itself towards more twee/childish styles, I still think it's cute and to be honest, as someone who is below 5'0", this style works best on my body type. I just had to get that out there because I've noticed a lot of fashion bloggers (who are of similar height only more waif-ish) get a lot of internet hate for wearing styles like this. Anyways, this style is very cute and is quite a timeless style. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...