Friday, November 29, 2013

Inspiration | Joan Watson (Elementary)

I don't know why it's taken me so long to do an inspiration post on Joan Watson from CBS' Elementary. Her style is so freaking gorgeous. I'd wear practically everything that Joan sports on the show. It's the perfect blend of sophistication, edginess, and girlyness. I bought a pair of ankle boots because Joan always wears some pair of chic ankle boots. Plus, I don't ever see any Asian woman on television that aren't fetishized into some stereotypical caricature of Asian culture, so I kind of immediately latched onto Joan as a genderbent/racebent John Watson. As a character, Joan holds her own against the men in this show, Sherlock included. She's always calling the other male characters out on their sexism and like they should, they apologize to her because everyone knows that Joan is a HBIC. Her style definitely reflects that. She dresses in dresses, skirts, and pants that are all confidence and style. She pretty much lights up any crime scene that her and Sherlock investigate. It definitely helps that Joan is played by the ethereal queen, Lucy Liu. If I adored having long hair, I would definitely be envious of Lucy's hair cape. I mean, there are some gorgeous moments in Elementary that just highlight her and her hair. It's kind of distracting. And then there are the coats and scarves that Joan wears. SO MUCH WARDROBE ENVY. All of her coats are functional and fashionable and I can't with the shapes of them. A lot of Joan's silhouettes vary between flaring out mid-thigh or asymmetrical lines and every shape in between. And damn, Lucy rocks every outfit that she's styled in. If you want to get Joan's look, you can look to Sheinside or Oasap for moderately affordable coats, dresses, and shoes similar to Joan's. If you want the real deal, you're going to need to be ready to shell out a couple hundred dollars for one coat, one pair of shoes, or one dress. I'm not kidding. Joan's outfits are comprised of some VERY pricey pieces. It makes me wonder just how much Sherlock is paying her. 

*IMAGES FOUND VIA GOOGLE SEARCH*

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...