Friday, November 8, 2013

Outfit | Geek Chic

A girl in one of my classes asked if I wear my glasses because I need them or because my face looks good with them. I said both and she replied with "I only wear glasses when I feel like being nerdy and smart." I didn't say anything because wearing glasses to appear "nerdy", "geeky", or more smart/intelligent is really, really stupid in my opinion. Unless you need glasses, I see no other point to you wearing glasses unless you're an actor and your character requires you to wear glasses. Other than that, you just look kind of ridiculous. I need my glasses to see and get through everyday life. If you have perfect as hell vision and you're wearing fake glasses, I will not hesitate to call you out on your ridiculousness and stupidity. I dislike wearing my glasses A LOT. I've only worn them the past three weeks because I've neglected ordering new contacts. Also, I've had to spend money on gas and my insurance doesn't cover contact eyes, so there's that. Anyway, I can't stand people who wear fake glasses. And the whole geek chic thing? I don't know how I feel about that as a subdivision of personal style and fashion. Like some people have said I dress in a very "twee geek chic" style. I have no idea what that means. I'm literally just picking clothes up off my floor or from my hangers and putting them on so that they're flattering on me. I'm assuming because of my love for cardigans, oxfords, and collared button ups/tops that classifies my personal style into the "twee geek chic" folder but I feel like personal style is so much more fluid than that. Personal style changes a lot and style itself changes a lot too. The subdivisions of personal style redefine themselves all the time so I feel like when people categorize my and anyone else's personal style into such black and white categories, I feel constrained and uncomfortable. 
Outfit Details: Cream Peter Pan Collar Top (Thrifted) | Grey High Waist Skirt (ViVis) | Navy Elbow Patch Cardigan (Thrifted) | Black Waist Belt (Thrifted) | Rose Tights (Target) | Black Oxfords (Thrifted) | Flower Ring (Gifted)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...