Sunday, October 20, 2013

Top 5 | My 5 Go-To Halloween Movies

For those of who don't know me personally, I love horror movies and all things creepy. Even when they actually scare me. I bring this up because it's almost Halloween. A lot of networks like Syfy and ABC Family do the 31 Days of Halloween in which they play a lot of classic Halloween movies although in Syfy's case, they play a lot of D-list horror movies but I digress. I watch a lot of horror movies and Halloween/creepy-themed movies. A lot. I thought I'd give you guys my Top 5 go-to Halloween movies because it's that time of the year and I always enjoy being able to introduce someone to a movie they might not have seen. 
1. Hocus Pocus (1993)
This film is just one of the ultimate Halloween films for me. Aside from Halloweentown, my sister and I grew up watching this practically every Halloween. As I matured, this film has become one of my favourites. There are so many amazing jokes in this and it can actually be kind of creepy at times. This film also strengthened my need for a cat thanks to the immortal cat Thackery. Someday, I will have a black cat to call my own. This film does have a cheesiness factor, but that's to be expected with most things from the Nineties. On the ultra plus side, Bette Midler. That's it. Bette Midler. Also, baby Thora Birch. Adorable. I should probably also tell you what this film is about: California teen Max, in order to impress this attractive and creepy-lover girl, Allison, inadvertently resurrects the Sanderson sisters. The sisters are witches who many many years ago, terrorized the Salem (Salem, Massachusetts) by spiriting away young children and stealing their life force in order to become young and beautiful. Now they're back to do it all over again. With the help of a mysterious black cat, Thackery, and a zombie, Billy, Max, Allison, and his younger sister Dani must put an end to the Sanderson sisters for good. 


2. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
One of my favourite Tim Burton films, this is a definite Halloween classic. It can also double for a Christmas favourite as well. The Burton classic tells the story of Jack Skellington, whom in the middle of an existential crisis, discovers a door that leads to "Christmas Town". Now, Jack is the most scary (and adorable) being from "Halloween Town" but he has begun to question his existence hence the existential crisis. He decides to go through the "Christmas Town" door and this leads to him making some decisions that have rather dire consequences. This film is creepy, funny, sweet, and incredibly fun to watch. It CAN be too creepy for kids under say, 7-10 years old, so take caution. Especially when in regards to the "This Is Halloween" sequence. It's got some childhood fears that most children have. Plus, Jack and Sally are one of the sweetest couples to ever exist and I will never get over how perfect the Jack and Sally actors in Disneyland are. 


3. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
Another Burton film has joined this list! With the success of the FOX television show, not only did I feel that one of my favourites deserved to be on this list, but Johnny Depp as a fainting criminal investigator? Yes please. This adaptation focuses on police constable Ichabod Crane. He is sent to the quiet town of Sleepy Hollow to investigate a series of murders by a mysterious Headless Horseman. While there, he meets the ethereal Katrina von Tassel and falls in love. Through twists and turns, he solves the mystery of the Headless Horseman. This film's production design and costuming is gorgeous and the gloominess is just oh so perfect for Halloween. Plus it stars Christopher Walken as the Headless Horseman. It's pretty fun. This film has got some comedic moments and some cheesy moments so the fact that most people categorize this as a horror film makes me giggle, but it's definitely not for the faint of heart. If you faint at the sight of a bug crawling out of a beheaded body, then this might not be for you. 

4. The Addams Family (1991)
This is less horrific and more family comedy, but I couldn't resist including this classic on my list. This film tells the story about the macabre-loving and surprisingly endearing Addams family. I won't wax poetically about what the film is about because honestly, watching it is so much more fun. Between Gomez and Morticia's fantastic parenting (no sarcasm here actually) and Wednesday's flawlessness as the ultimate cool girl, this film is a feast for those of us who grew up with different tastes from those of the societal norms. IF you've got a love for the macabre, sassy wit, and heartwarming family stories, this is just the one for you. Plus, all of the last minute costume ideas can from this film. 

5. The Changeling (1980)
Not to be mistaken for the Angelina Jolie film of the same name, this film is the ultimate ghost story. Many modern ghost stories draw from this film. The film is supposedly based on events that writer Russell Hunter said that he experienced while living in the Henry Treat Rogers Mansion of Denver, Colorado. Now, while all of my previous films barely touched into the horror genre, this film is perfectly embedded in the middle of it all. The Changeling tells the tale of composer John Russell who moves across the country from New York to Seattle, Washington into a creepy, Victorian-era mansion after the deaths of his wife and daughter. Upon moving into the house, John discovers that he has an unwelcome and unhappy guest in the form of the ghost of a young dead boy. Through investigation, John discovers that the young boy was murdered and that...you need to see the film to find out. This film actually really scares me. It's so creepy and just so horrifying and subtle. I love it. If you'd like to see it for yourself, it's all right here on YouTube. In HD. 

1 comment:

  1. I must say I don't know them all
    Thanks for giving me new movie ideas
    xx, Malena
    You can check my blog on:
    www.Fashioncontainer.com
    Fashioncontainer Facebook page

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...